Testimony in opposition to LD 1424: An Act To Enhance Parental Roles in Education Choice

Testimony in opposition to

LD 1424: An Act To Enhance Parental Roles in Education Choice,

Joint Standing Committee  on Education and Cultural Affairs

Monday, May 2, 2011, 1:00 PM

Senator Langley, Representative Richardson, Distinguished Members of the Joint Standing Committee on Education and and Cultural Affairs, my name is Brian Hubbell and I am the chair of the Mount Desert Island Regional School System, a school district of 1700 students  comprising the towns of Bar Harbor, Mount Desert, Southwest Harbor, Tremont, Trenton, Cranberry Isles, Frenchboro, and Swan’s Island.  I am before you today as their representative.

LD 1424: An Act To Enhance Parental Roles in Education Choice, Representative Amy Volk

...allows parents to petition for the restructuring of a school that is not making adequate yearly progress. Restructuring may include closure of the school, conversion of the school to a charter school, replacement of school leadership and teachers and oversight by the State of structural improvements. This bill is based on a process referred to as the "Parent Trigger" adopted by the State of California in 2009.

This “Parent Trigger” bill seeks implement in Maine a law implemented by charter school operators in California that allows a simple majority of students’ parents to direct the radical school conversions to private charter schools.  We believe that authority over public schools Maine should be retained by the communities and taxpayers that support them, not just one organized group of current parents. On this basis, the MDIRSS board voted on 4/25/2011 to oppose this bill.