Testimony in opposition to LD 1414: An Act To Provide Property Tax Relief for Year-round Residents 67 Years of Age or Older,

Testimony in opposition to

LD 1414: An Act To Provide Property Tax Relief for Year-round Residents 67 Years of Age or Older,

Joint Standing Committee  on Taxation,

Monday, May 2, 2011, 10:00 AM

Senator Trahan Langley, Representative Knight, (Representative Flemings) Distinguished Members of the Joint Standing Committee on Taxation, my name is Brian Hubbell and I am the chair of the Mount Desert Island Regional School System, a school district of 1700 students  comprising the towns of Bar Harbor, Mount Desert, Southwest Harbor, Tremont, Trenton, Cranberry Isles, Frenchboro, and Swan’s Island.  I am before you today as their representative.

LD 1414: An Act To Provide Property Tax Relief for Year-round Residents 67 Years of Age or Older, Representative Alan Casavant [Referred to TAXATION Committee]

...establishes an additional property tax relief for residents 67 years of age or older who qualify for the Circuitbreaker Program, have an income of no more than $75,000 and assets of no more than $200,000.

While framed as property tax relief for the elderly, the bill does so by specifically isolating and relieving the the proportion of local taxes represented by education. We believe it is improper to characterize a portion of a local tax obligation for a subset of taxpayers as an individualized fee-for-service.  On that basis, the MDIRSS board voted on 4/25/2011 to oppose this bill.